Sunday, December 21, 2008

Snowysnowy New England

Greetings from the cold & snowy Yankee north!

Since I'm up here, it's kinda tough to post new Austin photos so I'll probably be pretty quiet for the next 3 weeks.

I'll leave y'all with this for now:

Things I've Noticed Since Leaving Austin
1. Okay, okay, it is so true: we New Englanders are much ruder to and inconsiderate of people we don't know up here. Scary: I may actually prefer the Austin manners in this area better.
2. Similarly, I have become more polite. I now say "excuse me" far more often than normal here.
3. Bostonians & Cantabrigians walk faster than Texans.
4. Without noticing, I've come to expect different treatment from Southern men than Northern ones. No, seriously. Down there most men open or hold the door for you. They let you go first, they move aside so you have space in a crowded area, and ones you don't know frequently say "ma'am".
5. During both trips Austin-Boston, I noticed changes in the way people act, dress & communicate upon boarding the Boston-bound plane (I have 1 layover each flight, generally somewhere south).
6. New Englanders = truly more direct, blunt & sarcastic. Result = I do not offend people when I open my mouth here!
7. Boston drivers... need I continue?
8. I see more bookstores here.
9. Far less is in both English & Spanish here.

2 comments:

Vodka Mom said...

Hope you had a wonderful, wonderful Christmas!!!

Queen Bee said...

I notice a lot of differences like these between New Jersey and Pennsylvania and they're right next to each other. It's crazy that we're all in the same country.